General Motors: 2019 Paint Shop Sustainability
|Design Build Mechanical||icon Mechanical|
|Design Assist Mechanical||icon Mechanical|
icon Mechanical served as the piping and sheet metal subcontractor for the Paint Shop Nov. 2019 – Jan. 2020 Shutdown. The project was completed in 29 consecutive days while the plant was shut down in order to renovate portions of the Paint Shop. The work was completed with a field team working seven days a week, 24-hours per day.
This project included the following tasks:
- Refurbishing air supply hoses
- Utilizing a 300-ton crane situated 250′ from the roof’s edge to set an 80,000 CFM air house
- Paint mix pump replacement
- Complete replacement of paint storage equipment
- Replacement of four (4), 80,000 CFM fans within an existing building
In addition to the work above, our team also completed the:
- Replacement of a 130′ long eliminator beneath the prime painting booth
- Replacement and upgrade of 11 oven burners and gas trains
- Setting of a 40,000 CFM air house (which included 100 pieces of 4’x4′ duct work)
- Replacement of three (3) ultra fitter skids and pumps
The projects completed during this shut down required extensive rigging, stainless steel welding and material handling on projects throughout the paint shop. With peak manpower at 150 tradespersons, this project was completed in 40,000 manhours with ZERO INJURIES. Through work efficiencies, the project start-up took place one day ahead of schedule.